Sevenoaks gets tourism boost despite touch economic climate
By kentsussex | Wednesday, February 06, 2013, 12:28
A survey carried out by Visit Kent and Sevenoaks District Council has demonstrated that the Sevenoaks District is holding its own in the tourism stakes despite the tough economic climate.
Just one of our many attractions: Knole in Sevenoaks by Flickr's EEPaul
The survey, commissioned by the body who promote Kent locally and to the rest of the world, explored the county's visitor economy and also reveals the following statistics:
* Tourism in Kent supports more than 64,414 jobs and is currently worth £3.4 billion to the County's economy. 2011 saw 57 million visitors entertained in the region.
* Tourism generated £175 million of associated income for Sevenoaks District claiming six percent of all visits to the county, a grand total of 4,046,000 trips.
* Overseas visitors to the District spent on average £356 a night compared with UK visitors who spent £135 per night
* 3.7 million tourism day trips were recorded, generating £125.4 million in tourist related expenditure in the District.
* This income to the local economy is estimated to have supported around 4,199 full-time or part-time jobs in the District, eight percent of the total tourism related jobs across the County.
Peter Birnie, Business Advisor to Visit Kent and Quality Assessor in Channel 4's 'The Hotel' says, "It has been really encouraging to see several high quality B&Bs and self-catering opening last year in the Sevenoaks district - this says something really positive about the charm of the area."
Cllr Pat Bosley the Sevenoaks District Council Cabinet member with responsibility for tourism says: "The Sevenoaks District has a fantastic mix of beautiful countryside and wonderful attractions that quite rightly encourage millions of visitors every year.
"This report asserts that the economic impact of tourism has risen positively by eight per cent across Kent within the past five years.
"This illustrates just what an important industry tourism is to both the county and Sevenoaks District."
Sevenoaks District Council works with Visit Kent to support the local tourist economy.
For more information on tourism in the District visit, www.sevenoaks.gov.uk/tourism