Blaze hits Sevenoaks home after extension lead overheated

Profile image for kentsussex

By kentsussex | Thursday, November 01, 2012, 10:59

A Sevenoaks home was hit by a blaze yesterday afternoon after an extension lead overheated.

The fire in Knotts Place was discovered at 3.30pm by a workman, who went to investigate why the power tool he was using had suddenly stopped working.

Two fire engines from Sevenoaks and Borough Green were sent to the terraced property and had to force entry into the house. 

Crews wearing breathing apparatus used a hosereel to extinguish a fire in the porch, which had spread to the hallway.

Sevenoaks Watch Manager, Danny Barrett, said: "It appears that before leaving for work, the homeowner had plugged an extension cable through the letter box, so that a workman could attach a second extension lead to power his tools.

"Unfortunately, the cable on the second extension lead was not completely unwound, causing it to overheat and start a fire."

The blaze destroyed 70 per cent of the porch and caused smoke damage to the rest of the house.

Danny added: "With Christmas only next month, homeowners will soon be thinking about decorating their homes with lights. 

"Please keep safety in mind – don't overload sockets, use circuit breakers and make sure extension leads are fully unwound to prevent overheating.

Fire crews will be visiting neighbouring properties giving free fire safety advice but, if you have any concerns about keeping yourself or a friend or relative safe, call Kent Fire and Rescue Service free on 0800 923 7000 or go to www.3breaths.info for further information.

      

Comments

       
max 4000 characters
        
   

Latest Stories in Sevenoaks

       
      

Local Vouchers

       
   

Local Jobs

       
   

Search for...

       
        
Min price is bigger than Max price
        
Min price is bigger than Max price
        
Min rent is bigger than Max rent